I have two fun Christmas gift ideas to share with you today that can be used in your own family, or given to another family you wish to bless.
This plate starts out as a do-it-yourself (DIY) ceramics-painting project you design and bake at home. You can paint it together as a family or, if you want some creativity time, you can take an evening and paint it yourself. That's what I did. My kids weren't really interested in painting it, so I took the time to do it myself. I chose to paint the words, "You Are A Blessing"
on it, because that is the basic idea of the plate - to help children understand how and why they have been a blessing to someone (read more info about that below), but we also plan on using it throughout the year on each of our birthdays. Here's how my plate turned out:
After the plate is painted and baked, it is meant to be used as a fun parenting tool that encourages children (and everyone in the family) to learn more about and focus on the fruits of the Spirit found in Galatians 5.
Galatians 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy,
peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
THE STEPS FOR USING THE PLATE:
- PARENTS SHOULD BE THE EXAMPLE: Our children are watching us and learning from us. This is how they learn what character (Christ's Character) is, what it looks like, what it feels like. The virtues are listed in the center of the plate for parents to use as their moral compass.
- BE ON THE LOOKOUT: Look for the good choices and attitudes your kids/spouse are making and showing throughout the day. Track it back to the virtues listed on the plate.
- CELEBRATE THEIR CHARACTER: When you catch someone making good choices and showing good character, present their meal on the FAMILY HONOR PLATE that evening at mealtime. Talk about the good choices they made and the virtues and character that it showed (Be specific about how they were a blessing). Talk about how their actions were POWERFUL and BEAUTIFUL because of the impact they made in someone's life.
I believe this would make a unique Christmas gift for a family you love, including your own. It includes everything you need to paint the plate, and display it in the home. Watch this video for more information, or go ahead and PURCHASE HERE: FAMILY HONOR PLATE
My family and I have been using these during our evening meal times together. We try to do at least 2 questions per meal, and have enjoyed learning more about the others in our family.
Here's an example of a question my 14 year old son answered:
- QUESTION: If you could be any animal, what would you be?
- ANSWER: A dog - a golden retriever
- QUESTION: Why?
- ANSWER: They are soft and friendly, and I've just always wanted to have one of my own. I like cats, and I'm glad to have Sofie [his cat], but I think it would be cool to have a dog, too.
Move around the table until everyone has had a chance to answer. It is fun, and interesting, and is a good way to get to know each other better. It provides a way to share memories, and is a way to make memories also.
NOTE: As a member of FlyBy Promotions, I received a sample of these products in exchange for this review and post.