When someone we love passes away, we are forced to adjust to a "new normal" without him or her in our lives. The new normal is not easy, and it hurts... a LOT...
For example, my "new normal" without my dad HURTS when:
- I realize I can no longer pick up the phone and give him a call.
- His encouraging words (written or spoken) are no longer there when needed.
- His wise Biblical advice is no longer audibly heard.
- He is no longer there to share jokes and laughter.
- I desire to feel his warm hugs... but can't.
But, then, as I remember my Dad’s positive outlook on life and how he would often say, “Life is good,” I see how my new normal without him can also bring beneficial changes, if I allow it.
BENEFICIAL: producing good results or helpful effects
My "new normal" without my dad can be BENEFICIAL when:
- I recall some of his favorite sayings, such as "Keep short accounts with God and others," "Praise God," and "Life is good."
- I reminisce about him with smiles and laughter.
- I am blessed by specific comments from friends and family whose lives he touched.
- I focus on the positive impact he had in my life and in the lives of others.
- I strive to follow his examples by loving God with all my heart, and by being an encouragement to others.
When Dad would say, “Life is good,” he didn’t mean everything in his life was perfect and happy and going just as he had planned. He meant, life is good because our lives are a gift from God that is too often taken for granted. If we open our eyes, we can see just how blessed we are. We can understand what a privilege it is to be alive on this earth, and to be able to serve and worship the Lord with all of our hearts. That is why we are here.
So, yes, even though I miss my dad, I can always accept the fact that life is good.
Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of knowing and loving this precious man who was, and will always be, a part of my life. I look forward to seeing him again someday, when we will be sitting together at Your feet. Until then, help me to be thankful for all You have done for me and to always remember that life is good.
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I would love to know your thoughts! (NOTE: There will be a delay before your comment shows up due to all comments being moderated. Advertisements or spam will not be approved for publication.)